Aviation is the collective name given to all the aspects of flying. It deals with operations performed by pilots, i.e., Flying Operations, all the technical aspects, i.e., Technical Wing, the functions of the Air Crew (Air Hostesses and Flight Stewards), Air Traffic Management, and Aviation Safety, taking care of the Airport Economics and formulation and up keeping of the Regulatory Policies related to Flying. All these courses are regulated by the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). ‘Civil’ here implies that these activities are not linked to the aviation operations of the Indian Air Force.
Broadly, Aviation can be classified into three main categories, namely the Air Line Division, the Technical Division and the Commercial Division. Entry into these divisions can be gained by way of various entrance examinations.
About Aviation Entrance Exam
All the three divisions take in students via different exams. Entry into the Technical Wing can be gained by going for courses like Aerospace Engineering and Aeronautical Engineering at the graduate as well as the post-graduate levels. Exams like the JEE and the AIEE take in candidates for B.Tech in these branches. Those who wish to pursue a post-graduate course should take exams like the GATE.
Those aspiring to make a career in Aviation Management can opt for exams like the CAT or CMAT. Several institutes also conduct their own independent entrance exams.
Students who wish to become pilots do not need to take any particular entrance exam but they do have to undertake various tests at different stages of their training to obtain the requisite licenses like the Private Pilot License (PPL), the Commercial Pilot License (CPL), etc. for becoming a pilot, co-pilot or commercial pilot.
Courses Through Aviation Exam
- B.E./B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering (4 years)
- B.E./B.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering (4 years)
- M.E./M.Tech in Aerospace Engineering (2 years)
- M.E./M.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering (2 years)
- B.B.A. in Aviation Management (3 years)
- M.B.A. in Aviation Management (2 years)
- Diploma in Airport Management and Customer Care (1 year)
- Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Services (6 months)
- Diploma in Cabin Crew Services (1 year)
Exams One Can Take to Make a Career in Aviation
Graduate level (B.E./B.Tech)
- All India Engineering/ Architecture Entrance Examination (AIEEE)
- Delhi University Combined Entrance Examination (CEE)
- Hindustan University Entrance Test (HITSEE)
- IISAT Admission Test (IIST, Thiruvananthapuram)
- Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) conducted jointly by the IITs.
- SLIET Entrance Test (SET)
- Indian Institute of Aeronautics (IIA) Entrance Exam
Postgraduate level (M.E./M.Tech)
- The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- Sathyabama University M.E. Entrance Exam
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET)
- Common Defense Services (CDS) Test
- Common Aptitude Test (CAT)
- Common Management Aptitude Test (CMAT)
Aviation Entrance Exam List:
- All India AME Entrance Examination [ AIAEE ]
- Common Defense Services Test [ CDS ]
- Delhi University Combined Entrance Examination [ DUCEE ]
- Hindustan University Entrance Test [ HITSEE ]
- IISAT Admission Test [ IIST ]
- Indian Institute of Aeronautics Entrance Exam [ IIAEE ]
- Joint Entrance Exam [ JEE ]
- National Defence Academy [ NDA ]
- SLIET Entrance Test [ SET ]
- IGRUA IGRUA Entrance Exam for CPL (Commercial Pilot License)